Saturday 9 January 2010

A Christmas Carol


Jim Carrey takes on eight different roles (principally as Scrooge) in this latest version of Charles Dickens' timeless classic,although I do not remember all the chase sequences being in the original novel.Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.

Mr Carrey polarises opinion like few other actors today with some people preferring his earlier manic films whilst in the other camp are those who lean to his more cerebral and serious roles.I mentioned in an earlier set of reviews that I do incline towards the former and whilst his performance is good in this he is practically unrecognisable as himself until the last few scenes when Scrooge becomes a more sympathetic character when his more familiar persona does come through.

A definite highlight is when he channels the spirit (if you will excuse the expression) of the great Brian Blessed as one of the ghosts.The storyline is so strong I would suggest it would take a very incompetent director to make a poor version of such a well-loved book.6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment